Friday, November 8, 2013

Foodie Friday: Crockpot Double Chocolate Cake

So…I know you have been dying all week to see if I would actually follow through on my promise of a Crockpot dessert.
Do you disbelieve my word?
OK, to be fair, I actually made no promises last week about a Crockpot dessert…I only hinted at the possibility.
But…being as how my word IS my promise, I suppose I did.
And now I am just rambling for the point of having something of an intro…
OK…let’s get down to business. This cake is really quite good. Now, as with the potatoes, why would we spend extra time baking a cake in a Crockpot for 3-4 hours instead of one in the oven for 50 minutes? You’ll have to figure that out for yourself; I can’t possibly know all the ins and outs of your life to discern why you do what you do.
It doesn’t heat up the whole house…how’s that? Might be better for the summer…although I don’t typically think of the summer as the time to use a slow cooker, but that might just be my blinders talking. You know…like a horse wears. Well, that someone puts on a horse; “like a horse wears” implies that an equine had any say in the decision, which I doubt he ever does.
But I digress…
So…this yummy Crockpot Double Chocolate Cake is easy, breezey, lemon squeezey.
Here’s what you need (otherwise known as Ingredients):
  • 1 box chocolate cake mix
  • 1 box (a small box) chocolate instant pudding
  • 1 cup sour cream (get the full o’ fat stuff…the light or fat free isn’t going to cut it)
  • 1 cup water
  • 2/3 cup oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (but if you’re feeling foot-loose and fancy-free, go ahead and through in the whole bag…that’s what I did. Don’t judge)
  • Optional: Ice cream (whatever flavor you like best with chocolate cake…the options are limitless; ok, maybe not LIMITLESS, but still…you’ve got a lot of choices out there in this world)

 Here’s how to make it (otherwise known as Directions):
  • Mix dry cake and pudding mixes in large bowl with whisk until blended; if you use an electric mixer, the cake will have a tough texture…so DON’T use an electric mixer is what I am saying right here.
  • Add next 4 ingredients; mix well. Stir in chopped chocolate. Pour into slow cooker sprayed with cooking spray; cover with lid.
  • Cook on LOW 4 to 5 hours (or on HIGH 3 to 3-1/2 hours) or until top surface of cake has no wet spots and cake begins to pull away from side of slow cooker.
  • Serve warm, topped with ice cream.
  • Enjoy (See, I have to include that direction otherwise you might forget to enjoy it…)


Note:
This recipe is designed for a round Crockpot between 4 and 5 quarts. If your slow cooker is larger than this, line the empty slow cooker with heavy-duty foil sprayed with cooking spray before using as directed. In theory, this prevents the edges of the cake from overcooking (although I will tell you that I have a 6 quart Crockpot and even with the foil, the edges of mine were slightly over-done.)

No comments:

Post a Comment