My new friend Lizzi at Considerings has tagged me with some questions to share. Maybe some of you are new here and referred from her, so "WELCOME!" Please make yourselves comfy and cozy. Mostly because I tend to ramble and you might want to settle in for a bit.
OK, so as we begin, let’s agree to be honest. Well, I’m going to be honest…I can’t force you to be.
I do not care for these kinds of lists. Not because I don’t like to talk about myself…anyone who has a blog likes to talk about themselves in some capacity or to some degree. Agree or disagree…you know, deep down, that I am right.
My issue with these kinds of lists are that they feel so limiting.
And so final.
And there might be a quiz later on what I write so I hope I can remember what I choose…because I am a little bit wishy-washy and my mood sometimes affects what I like.
And sometimes WHO I like.
And also…what if I put something on this list and later I decide it’s not really one of my top five of something, or I remember something else I SHOULD have put on the list…I will feel obligated to change my list.
Yeah, I’m like that. Sorry to tell you, if you’re just now getting to know me.
Actually…it’s really ok. I’m a little over myself right now. School is starting in about a week (in a week, actually…there is not “about” to it…although I am the one in charge (we home school) so I could be flexible.
But I am choosing not to be flexible. I said July 29 was the drop-dead start day and by golly it will be.
So…this was a smooth as silk intro…I’m sure I’ve reeled you in, especially if you’re visiting for the first time.
I won’t belabor the inevitable and will delve right in:
Five Things I have a Passion For
- Jesus Christ, who is my Savior & Redeemer
- My family…I have a husband (to whom I refer as Mr. Always Random) and two boys (to whom I refer as the PBA…Parker Brothers Academy…they don’t love the name I have given our home school but it has stuck now.)
- My friends…I wrote about them last week in my Ten Things of Thankful: Girlfriends Edition, if you care to take a look. Or even if you don’t care to take a look, it’s still what I wrote about. Ah, grammar humor is fun, isn’t it?
- My dog…see, that’s kind of funny because he and I kind of have a love/hate relationship. I love him and he loves me, but only if Mr. Always Random isn’t home. He does have his own Facebook page, if you care to see pictures. Or follow him…he doesn’t really want friends, just likes.
- Sugar…I love it. Not so much in the pies and cobblers (though I would not necessarily pass on a warm, home-made cobbler…it would depend on my mood), but primarily I am passionate about things in the chocolate realm: cake, brownies, cookies, ice cream…all that yummy goodness.
Sure, this is an odd list of things about which to be passionate but I am going under the presumption that there will NOT really be a quiz and this is a light-hearted attempt to get to know me…not really something on which I’m going to be truly judged or assessed.
Correct me if I’m mistaken, Lizzi!
Five Things I Would Like to Do Before I Die
- Learn how to blow glass…yes sounds silly and yet it’s still on my list
- Rehab a house...Mr. Always Random keeps reminding how much work this would be, and though I don't disagree, I would still like to be presented with the opportunity
- Ride in an untethered hot air balloon...you know what I mean...one that goes sailing over the farms and that causes dogs to run across large yards, chasing you; not one at the county fair that goes up and straight back down. Though at some point I might accept that, because I haven't done that either.
- Ride in a racecar
- Visit Ellis Island (sure this could also count in my places to travel, but I chose to put it here…don’t judge)
Five Things I Say A Lot
- I know, right?
- Lest you be confused…
Five Books/Magazines I’ve Read Lately
- Urban Farm…oh yes, I have a subscription to this magazine. Sometimes I pretend like I want to be a farmer and read all about these amazing things I could do if I didn’t live in a neighborhood with an HOA. This way I can continue to blame them for the fact that I don’t get to have livestock on my property…if I moved, I might actually have to admit that this wouldn’t be for us.
- Les Miserables…still plowing my way through this book. It’s not that I don’t love it…it’s that I don’t make time for it. Don’t judge.
- And now, I’m going to just name three more books I like…I haven’t had much time to read, except blogs…because they’re reasonably short. Except for my posts…sorry about that.
- Still Alice…you’ll be convinced that you, yourself, have Alzheimer’s as you’re reading this…reader beware.
- The Thirteenth Tale…I read this a while ago but still one of my all-time favorites. I could tell you more about it but I don’t want to spoil it. If you like a good piece of fiction writing, you’ll love this book.
- Radical…WARNING: don’t read this book if you don’t want to be convicted about your life. But if you’re wanting true conviction, this book is the way to go. Followed up with “Follow Me”…also by David Platt.
Five Favorite Movies
- The Incredibles…it always reminds me of when my now-10yo was a little bit of a thing.
- Despicable Me
- Toy Story (all of them…and yes, I’m counting it as one entry)
- Star Wars (yes, all 6 films…not quality films but ones which conjure up all sorts of good memories or my childhood and that of my kiddos)
- Really any Pixar film…and yes, I am fully aware that The Incredibles would fit into that category but I feel it deserves its own bullet point, being as how it is the best.
Movies for People Other Than Kids (I dare not say “adult” because that implies a whole other genre of films of which I know NOTHING)
- O Brother Where Art Thou?
- French Kiss, You’ve Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle…again, counting all these as one movie because they basically are one in the same
- Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark…this was the first movie I remember seeing in a theater. That is if you exclude Sleeping Beauty, which my mom and grandma took me to when I was three. I sometimes still have the same recurring (which means it happens over and over, by virtue of the name) dream that I have had since I was three about it. The dragon part, actually.
- Breaking Away
Yes, the last three seem to be inextricably linked by a common theme (and true, my dog’s name is Indy, but I assure you that it was the name he had when we got him from the shelter…merely a coincidence). But Indiana Jones has no relationship whatsoever to the great state of Indiana.
Five Places I Would Love to Travel
- Washington (the state)
- Alaska (the show ‘Northern Exposure” lit that fire many years ago and I haven’t let it burn out)
- Paris, France
- Florence, Italy
- Ireland…all of it
Five People I Invite To Join This Soiree
- Then It Dawned On Me
- Things That May Make You Laugh, Cry or Both
- Ate Up Amateur
- Overholt 8
- The Frustrated Cowgirl
That’s about it for me…thanks for reading. And be sure to check out Lizzi, as well as my soiree guests. I know four of the five of them and they don’t post as often as I, a faithful reader of each one, would like…so I am hoping that this will encourage them to post more.
The fifth one I have never met and I don’t even know how I stumbled on her blog but I find it delightful (she’s The Frustrated Cowgirl).
Have a fabulous evening! And I hope you'll join me again soon!