This week, my heart has been heavy for many reasons…reasons too personal to dump out here. And mostly because none of it is my news to spill…just know this: my heart hurts for many friends for a variety of reasons.
That being said, even before this week, I have been thinking…increasingly…about my friends. And how thankful I am for all of them.
And for the different roles they play in my life.
And I know I won’t possibly be able to cover all the ways I am thankful for my friends, so if you fill a role in my life that I inadvertently miss on here, please don’t walk away feeling unappreciated. I assure you that I appreciate you and am so thankful for your friendship.
You know how when you were little (at least this was my thinking, however skewed…maybe it was just me and you have no idea what I’m talking about; if so, please feel free to skip ahead. I’m sure it won’t be the first time you’ve skipped ahead in my blog. I promise not to be offended.), you thought that you had to have ONE “Best Friend” and if you didn’t have that one person with whom you could do everything and to whom you could tell everything, there was something wrong with you.
For years, I searched for that one person.
But at some point, thankfully, I figured out that God has blessed me with many friends for many roles, and that one person was never going to do it for me.
I don’t mean to say that I’m high-maintenance…although some people might say that. Mr. Always Random might say that.
And the PBA might say that…but then, they are kind of like their dad.
I will disregard their input on that. Not that they don’t count, but because I am discussing girlfriends here.
For the record, I do want to say that if I had a knife to my throat and I had to declare ONE best friend, it would be Mr. Always Random. But even he, fabulous though he is, can’t fill all the needs I have from a friend…for instance, he doesn’t love shopping. And sometimes he tries to fix my problems when all I want is for him to listen. And he doesn’t always tell me when something doesn’t look good on me. These are things I sometimes need from a friend.
However, if we are running late to go somewhere (which RARELY ever happens), and frankly there’s no time for me to change, then I do need him to tell me I look great simply so we can get in the car.
Anyway…girlfriends are best for that. Sorry, Mr. Always Random…I know you are probably crushed by this news flash.
So, without further delay, I give you my Ten (OK, more than Ten…and I won’t even Add a Number Because I Keep Adding To It) Things of Thankful: Girlfriends Edition
1. I am thankful that I have been blessed with an assortment of ladies whom I call “friend”….all sorts of backgrounds, life stories, experiences on which to draw and shape our friendship.
2. I am thankful for friends who can make me laugh. And who laugh at…well, not AT, but WITH me. A similar sense of humor is helpful…if I don’t think you’re funny (and vice versa) I’m not 100% certain the friendship can withstand the long haul.
3. I am thankful for friends who can help pick me up when I need it. And especially when I may not even know that I need it.
4. I am thankful for friends who know me better than I know myself and still choose to be my friend.
5. I am thankful for friends who have known me for the duration (Mom, I’m thinking of you here. True…we weren’t “friends” until I was an adult, and though I know I will always be your daughter, I am thankful to also be a friend. So thankful to have made the transition.)
6. I am thankful for also for friends from Kindergarten (to be honest, there's really jsut one)…that’s crazy, right? And they’re still my friends…in spite of all we’ve been through: those bad perms, the 80’s fashion, all those boyfriends (ok, there weren’t really that many...just to clarify)…and the friendship has survived it all.
7. I am thankful for new friends who dare to jump into a friendship with me, sometimes sight unseen… bless their hearts…they have no idea what they’re getting in to.
8. I am thankful for friends who don’t have to be in constant communication to know that I’m there for them…and that they’re there for me. We can go days, weeks, months…maybe even (dare I say it!) YEARS…and we know that one another is there. And we can pick up right where we left off, as though not a day has gone by.
9. I am thankful for friends who will go shopping with me…knowing that I probably won’t spend much, if any, money…and that I’m simply going with them because a) I enjoy their friendship; and b) I can get my sought-after shoppers high from the deals they score. That’s a true friend right there… taking one for the team.
10. I am thankful for friends who may not always understand what I am talking about but will nod their heads when they know that’s all I’m looking for, and not really seeking advice.
11. I am thankful for friends who know when I’ve had enough teasing and actually stop BEFORE I reach frustrated. (I am an “Only” for crying out loud…I love me some teasing but my threshold for tolerating it may be somewhat lower than that of a person with one or more siblings. I try to put on a good front, but I know I wear it all out there for the world to see.) All that to say: I’m thankful for the friends who notice the threshold before it’s visible to most.
12. I am thankful for friends who will be a sounding-board…being a verbal processor (I’m sure that’s news to all of you!), I sometimes simply need to talk out and/or through a situation to get to the solution. True, sometimes I need the input too, but just a smile and a nod works for me sometimes too. To be honest, I know sometimes they’re not really listening…and that is ok with me.
13. I am thankful for friends who will pray at the drop of a hat. And sometimes without even knowing why…and won’t ask the why. They know I will let them in on it when it’s time…if it’s ever time. And if I don’t tell them ever, they still won’t ask. A solid group of prayers warriors in your corner is always a blessing.
14. I am thankful for friends who can keep a secret…not that I have many, but sometimes there are things you want to share without blabbing them to the whole world. I’m sure you are reading this now and thinking, “What on earth is she holding back on? She’s like a kitchen faucet without a Brita attachment: everything comes through this blog…good, bad, ugly.” Yeah, that’s a weird analogy but it’s the best I could do. And you totally get it, don’t you?
15. I am thankful for friends who I don’t necessarily know really well, but my heart feels at peace when I are with them…to me, that’s more of a “sister in Christ” than a friend. Can I get an “amen” on that? ANYONE know what I’m talking about?
16. I am thankful for friends who can see past my silliness to what is underneath…and realize there’s not much beyond the silliness. And still want to hang out.
17. AND last of all…and I’m not just saying this, but I am thankful for all my blogger friends…those I know, those I know in cyber-space only, and those I do not know at all (but who maybe feel like they know me, because I am lacking filter in my blog). Thanks for taking the time to read what I have to write…I truly do appreciate you!
And with that: have a fabulous day!
|Graduation from IU...I hope no one feels slighted to not be in the token picture I selected...|
I'm sure you are all crying your eyes out right now, and I'm really sorry about that.