Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Perfect Storm

I have a confession...I feel somewhat responsible for the PBA's paltry candy outcome from Halloween. Not FULLY responsible, but partly.

Halloween was cold here in the Midwest, and though I sometimes attempt to “play God,” I am not to blame for the weather. That being said, we did not do nearly the amount of trick-or-treating as we have done in the past. The group’s interest was rapidly waning as we were all getting cold, especially after the sun went down (which, ironically, is the best time to be out trick-or-treating). But this year the cold seemed more brutal than usual. Even a coat over a costume (who else had to do that as a child?!? That was the worst!) would not have been enough to thwart the weather. But I digress…

Combine this with the fact that my husband was sick and I was on “walk the neighborhood with the PBA” duty. (If you are confused about how this factors in, please see my point above.) Ok, so my husband’s illness was not my fault either. We went out to dinner the night before so we can’t even blame my cooking.

And on November 2-4, Noodles and Company was doing a Candy Swap. Like any good mom who loves to get things for free, I helped the PBA sort out the candy they wouldn’t eat and hauled it in to Noodles to swap it for a free bowl of their Macaroni & Cheese. OK, this is partially my fault, being as how I was the instigator, as well as the driver. (BTW, sorry if you missed out on this deal…I should have posted a PSA or something before the offer was over.)

I’m too cheap to go out and buy Halloween candy, even though it’s on clearance. This will come as no surprise to any of you. I am responsible for being cheap.

And about a month ago, I complained about the over-abundance of candy from last year. That will clearly not be applicable next fall, I will make certain of that. That was fully my fault also; I guarantee that I will never do that again!

All these things have come together as a perfect storm. The end result: due to the low candy supply, it is WAY too obvious for us to risk the wrath of the PBA by swiping a piece of their candy. Not that we would ever steal from our children, but I have heard tales of other people who have.


No comments:

Post a Comment