Monday, November 5, 2012

Balance Restored


If you know me, you may or may not know that I’m always good for a cake. In fact, I have a some friends who have advocated that be my epitaph:  “She was always good for a cake.” It's always nice to have friends around who will plan your epitaph for you, even before your demise. They make it sound as though you have a say in the matter when, in actuality, you don't...because you probably won't be around when they're placing the order.

In an effort to keep up with this promise of a cake on every table (yes, my nod to tomorrow's election with Herbert Hoover and "a chicken in every pot, and a car in every garage"...no worries, nothing else political...today...but I will say that's two Depression Era references I've made in the past three days...odd.), I try to keep anywhere from 2-4 pound cakes in my freezer at all times. I mark the flavor (yes, there are different flavors) on the foil with a Sharpie (I love those things) and the date when I bake it, so I can rotate my stock and put the older stuff on top.

Mind you, they don’t last for too long...so if I arrive somewhere and have brought a cake, I assure you that it’s not been in existence any longer than a handful of weeks; there’s always a pitch-in or something for which I need/want to provide something…and the cakes are my go-to item. They’re easy, not too expensive and freeze well. Plus I don’t even need the recipe any more so I can make them on the fly.

The glaze is even easier…take a can of frosting (you know…the store-bought kind…flavor of your choice), remove the lid and the foil (most definitely the foil…ALL of the foil…or it will catch on fire…this is experience talking…), and pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir it and put it back in for another 15-30 seconds, depending on your microwave’s power. As I said before, my microwave is cute, little and red and I bought it at Target but I don’t know the wattage on it.

Anyway, for the past week, I have been out of sorts. I used my last cake for a dinner on Friday night and things haven’t felt right since. All week, I was hoping I wouldn't get invited anywhere!

But no worries…I spent the afternoon cleaning the house and baking. There are four cakes now residing in my freezer…two yellow with chocolate chips and two chocolate with chocolate chips (Notice a theme? I love a theme!).

No need to fret any longer. Balance has been restored.  But I am waiting for an invitation to a pitch-in…


No comments:

Post a Comment