Friday, October 12, 2012

The Price of Government

Lest you  be concerned, this is not a political rant of any kind...merely a clever (I hope) title attempting to draw you in. Don't worry...I am not delivering a diatribe and I am not on a soapbox.

You may now proceed.

As you may recall from my post about anarchy, the PBA is studying government this year.

Recently they had the opportunity to have lunch with and “interview” John Price, who is running for Indiana State Representative for District 47. My father knows him, and was able to set up the meeting, as well as help facilitate the discussion.
Up to this point, the PBA and I had been talking about Federal Government. It is a Presidential Election year, after all, so I wanted to make sure they understood that process.  In the couple weeks leading up to the lunch appointment, my parents made sure that they understood about State Government, and how it parallels, as well as differs from, Federal  Government.

Also, on Election Day, the PBA will be campaigning for Mr. Price at one of the local polling sites. I wanted them to be prepared to answer the questions which will surely come their way, specifically this one: “Why should I vote for him?” It’s not every day you see children campaigning, so their novelty will spark questions if nothing else. And I wanted to make sure they were prepared.
Also to get ready for the meeting, the PBA reviewed Mr. Price’s website so they knew some of his background and his platform (a new word for them…I cannot guarantee that if you ask them they’ll remember what it means, but you can try…they do remember what his platform is, but they may not remember that term), and they each had a couple questions for him.

In the car that morning, we were discussing the lunch meeting.  I asked them what questions they were going to ask, and reminded them of the most important on, “Why should people vote for you?”
We talked about polite and proper behavior: shaking his hand, saying, “It’s nice to meet you”, thanking him for taking time out of his busy schedule to meet with them, looking him in the eye when they’re talking to him. You know – all the things 9 and 11yos should already know, but the reminder never hurts.

In addition, the 11yo also piped up with some coaching for his brother, "Yeah and be sure to laugh when either Mr. Price or Grandpa is laughing, even if you don't understand the joke. It's ok to look like you do." I thought that was pretty wise council...I may have a politician in my house.

I also talked about the actual lunch…the food. I knew they were meeting at O’Charley’s and we all know the best part of O’Charley’s…the rolls. And I know how the PBA have a penchant for carbs, especially bread (which is why I don’t serve bread very much at my meals at home because that’s all they want. And I won’t lie…that’s what I want too.) So I encouraged them not to eat too many rolls, so they could eat a good lunch. As it turned out, I need not have been concerned about a “good lunch”…I should have given parameters for what that means. The 11yo had a cheeseburger (and I assume French fries too) and the 9yo had a steak, potato soup, French fries and two rolls (yes…protein, carbs, carbs and a side of carbs). He must have put it in his hollow leg. But I digress…
My dad came by to pick them up, and reviewed a couple last-minute things with them. Not to over-prep them...as I said before: they are 9 and 11…and one never knows what might come out of their mouths.

And then right before they left for the lunch, I said, “Remember what I told you?” meaning “Remember what I told you about a firm handshake, look him in the eye, speak clearly…all that stuff.”

And they nodded.
“Well, what was it then? What did I say?”

“Don’t stuff ourselves with rolls at lunch.”

Ah yes…perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment