Friday, September 14, 2012

Lego Security

I'm all for good security systems.  There are many types to choose, ranging from high end to do-it-yourself jobs. There are some really slick systems out there: the ultra-deluxe, professionally-installed ones, with sensors on each door and window, and cameras and motion sensing lights.  There are other features too: panic buttons, automatic connection with all emergency services.  There are even panic rooms.  That's a whole level of security I don't fully understand.

There's also the home-made variety of security.  I, myself, envision a Campbell’s soup can on a door frame, attached to a string, which is attached to the door; the “system” is tripped when an intruder opens a door.
Then, of course, there's always the trusty shotgun under the bed.

And then there is necessity, the mother of invention. There are times when you’ve just got to protect yourself against a specific type of intruder. I personally applaud my 9yos method for defending against those pesky ninjas that always strike under cover of darkness.
This is not the full extent of the security system...just the part by the window, where one could assume the ninjas would enter the room.
Actually, I don't know for sure if he was trying to protect himself from a ninja attack; that is merely surmising on my part. But with Legos strewn across the floor like this, one can't help but wonder if he had preventative measures in mind.  Those bare ninja feet would be shredded to bits in a hot second amidst this disarray. This is clearly a thorough job on his part (with some assistance from his brother and a couple friends) but I'd definitely give him the majority of the credit. 
I, personally, hesitate in the evenings to walk through this minefield in the dark…frankly because I know what terrors await my feet.  Even with lights on, I am still reluctant; you know how Legos are. Those little suckers hide in the carpet with their pointy little corners directly aimed at your tender feet.  And don't even get me started on those little "clear" ones; they are like ninjas themselves, lurking in the shadows, preparing their assault.

I can, without fail, walk through a room that appears to have been picked up and my perceptive little piggies will find every piece which was missed. I'm confident that my vision has nothing to do with this apparent problem.  I can see just fine, thank you very much.  So if you see me sometime with glasses, rest assured that it has nothing to do with compromised vision ... it's merely me succumbing to my fashion sense’s longing for some stylish spectacles. Ok, not really.  I may need to go to the eye doctor sometime before I’m 40…which is more than a year from now, BTW. Don't hound me. I'll go…I promise.

 As I ruminate on this, I think maybe I should actually present my security system idea to Lego and make a mint. Double marketing potential for an item they're already producing.  Who's the genius now?!?  Oh wait.  I think it's my 9yo.  

No comments:

Post a Comment