Thursday, May 8, 2014

Who's Got the Button?

I think I already wrote a post with this title but if I can't recall with a great degree of certainty, you more than likely cannot either.

So I shall continue as though it has never happened.

I am a thrifty gal.

I was so upset at what happened on Sunday to one of my favorite shirts.

You can go here if you somehow missed that post.

Anywho...I washed the blouse and discovered that I was missing 3 buttons.

Three.

Out of a total possible 7.

To be fair, one had been missing for a while...it was the top button, which I always leave unbuttoned. There was a button missing when I bought the blouse (yes, time for total honesty: it cost me 75 cents at Salvation Army) so I took the one from the top and moved it down.

But I figured if I was in the market to possibly replace them all, I might as well include that one.

You know...in the vein of "doing my personal best" which I always tout to the PBA.

But...I must tell you: they were not just any plain old buttons. They were cute little black with white polka dots, fabric-covered buttons.

If you know anything about buttons at all, you'll understand what I mean when I tell you that these would probably not be easy to come by.

And even if by some stroke of luck I did find something close...well, to be honest, I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I figured they would be either

  • too expensive
  • too big
  • too small
  • the wrong shade of black
  • and I would have invested more time/energy/money than it was worth.

Instead, I looked to my button jar. It is an old mason jar with some of my buttons and some from my grandma.

I hoped/prayed/crossed my fingers I would find something that would work.

And if there was nothing in the fabric genre, maybe there would be enough white or black buttons (just plain old buttons) which could make it still wearable.

Again...I'm thrifty. No need to go spending upwards of $1-$2 at Jo-Ann's for new buttons when I have something perfectly workable right under my nose.

So...I rummaged and rummaged and when I came up for air, I had one solid black fabric-covered button and two of these.


But I also had a black Sharpie. You may recall this from last summer...

So I ended up with this:


Yes, I am holding the button with a pair of tweezers. I may be cheap but I am not stupid; Sharpies are permanent for crying out loud. (It even says so on the side.)

So, once the buttons dried, I sewed them on. And ended up with this:


If you didn't know, would you know? I didn't think so.

Will the Sharpie run in the wash? I hope not, but I have ample Sharpies for repair-work if needed.

And what's the worst that could happen? The blouse could be ruined?

Actually, yes. That is the worst thing that could happen.

Well, that and all the clothes being washed with it.

Kind of makes me rethink the value of a 75 cent shirt.

Stay tuned as this drama unfolds...

Follow me on Facebook!



2 comments:

  1. Looks good to me ...great job, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you for when the blouse gets washed.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I may be cheap, but I'm not stupid."

    That pretty much sums you up! I think you're a GENIUS!

    And you could use those Shout Color Catchers in the washing machine, just in case. And, since you are cheap, you can tear them in half or even in thirds and they work just fine. Because they aren't cheap like you.

    No, you're not THAT kind of cheap. Frugal. You're frugal.

    ReplyDelete