OK, so we made it back from our trip to beautiful Clifty Falls. Big fun was had by all in the great outdoors; so much so that I have a second list…and I can even link it up by myself! A huge thanks to Miss Bloggypants for her assistance linking me up to the TToT Hop yesterday!
Indy has an especially lovely time. It was his first camping trip. Little does he know it may be his last. Here’s what he posted on Facebook about the trip:
“For those of you who were concerned, I managed to make it back safe and sound from my camping trip. And not to worry, courtesy of my incessant barking, I saved my people (AND another family too) from NUMEROUS possible attacks by diabolical children on bicycles, unseemly families going on hikes, and God only knows how many hoards of ferocious beasts who were skulking about in the tree line.”
|Doesn't he just scream "Outdoor Dog"?|
1. So, Indy’s “protection” is my first item of thankfulness. What would have ever done without him to keep us safe?
And here’s my succinct list of the remaining items:
2. Thankful for nicer bathrooms than any other time we camped. The bathhouse was new and clean and had outlets so not only could I blow dry and curl my hair, but I could also charge my phone while I was getting cleaned up. (For the record, we did “primitive” sites this time, which meant no electrical hook-up. So glad we did because it was ALL RVs on the electrical side…and they were VERY noisy (as one could imagine).
4. Thankful for no dog puke in the car…in addition to his many marketable attributes, Indy gets car sick. But apparently we fed him early enough in the day that by the time we got in the car to travel, his stomach was finished digesting and he didn’t get sick.
5. Thankful for time with friends…both for us and Indy.
|Indy's friend Archie|
6. Thankful for lots of blankets because we (obviously) could not turn on a space heater as we had done in the past.
7. & 8. Thankful that my 12yo carried a skittish and somewhat-blind Indy up all the stairs when we went hiking. Indy’s not too keen on stairs (we don't have any in our house so he's not all that confident on them...I really should have video-taped it for a little comic-relief for you-all), and he's especially terrible on ones that are open or “unfinished” in style. He kept trying to go THROUGH the steps. Oh, and did I mention that the dog was wet and muddy? The 12yo hardly complained about the mud, although he did have me hold his jacket…he was worried that the dog’s nails would put a hole in it. (As an aside, look at all that maturity and forethought from the 12yo; that’s another item of thankfulness right there, folks!)
9. Thankful that even though I didn't bring enough junk food snacks and all we had by Friday night were healthy carrots green peppers and broccoli…but nobody complained. At least when I was within earshot. That is a first.
10. Thankful that I gave NyQuil to my 12yo for the first time because he was coughing at bedtime but he didn't have the post-NyQuil hangover (which concerns me for later on in life, but that's an issue for another time). It didn’t even occur to me that it could be an option until he’d swallowed it…and clearly by then it was too late to do anything about it.
11. Thankful to try a new delicacy: roasted Starburst (yes, you read that right…roasted Starburst). They are just as they sound...Starburst stuck on a stick and put into the fire until bubbling. (And we're excited for the next camping opportunity when we can try roasted Tootsie Rolls...because how much better could THOSE be?)
12. Thankful that we made it home with the same number of people (and dogs) we took.
Lucky 13. Thankful that the rain didn't start until Saturday morning at 7:30 and even though we had to pack up everything in the rain and then spread it out in the front yard, back yard and garage yesterday afternoon (I say “we” but Mr. Always Random took care of it…I was on laundry and unpacking duty inside…lest you be concerned that I was sitting around on my bum. I’m like that you know…), it could have been worse and rained the entire time. See, it's really about the little things.
I’m sure there’s lots of other things I could include, but frankly I need to rest for a minute…all this Fall Break is starting to wear me out!
Have a fabulous day!