Thursday, September 12, 2013

Wordless Thursday: Hurt

Yeah, I like the Man in Black. 

Today is the anniversary of his death, which doesn't really mean much to me, because it's not like I knew him or anything. 

I'm sure you're shocked by that.

So no, I didn't have it on my calendar; just a couple days ago, my 10yo asked me when Johnny Cash died (I may have been listening to him on Spotify, hence the spark of interest) so we Googled it (duh!); I couldn't remember the date (but I did remember the year: 2003 in case you were wondering).

I decided to share this video with you for two reasons: it seemed appropo on a day such as this, and unlike the video I posted a couple weeks ago, this is actually a legit, Johnny Cash video, and not something put together as a tribute piece (although it very much is a tribute piece).

If you listen to the lyrics, you may need a tissue. 

You've been warned.



I have included the words below, because I am certain you wanted to read them as well...


I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real
The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything

[Chorus:]
What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair
Beneath the stains of time
The feelings disappear
You are someone else
I am still right here

[Chorus:]
What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

If I could start again
A million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way


Follow me on Facebook!

2 comments:

  1. I love The Man in Black. His son was on FoxNews this morning talking about him. What his son wanted the world to know that isn't as commonly known is that he was a deeply spiritual man, read & scoured & studied the Bible and had a true faith in God. And he said, that he was a very joyful man--always laughing and telling jokes.
    Just a couple days ago, I was thinking about Johnny (didn't know it was the anniversary of his death until this morning)I grew up on him. My parents had many of his records.

    The interesting thing about this song is that it is originally a Nine Inch Nails song. Their intent for the song was about 'self-harm', addiction and suicide. And it was Johnny's very last hit. Anyway, you probably already knew all of that. I kind of think that Johnny is talking about this life on earth--and how we as long as we're here, we'll always be 'bound' to sin in some way...it's that pull and the cross we bear ...I think he knew he was nearly done with his time on earth. I don't think he meant what NIN meant by it--although he does know the pain of addiction, etc.

    ...I'm blathering... I'll shut up now.

    This is definitely a case of I like the "remake" better than the "original".

    Love Johnny.

    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you love him...I had no doubt. LOL (I actually meant to say that I was posting this for you, because I knew how much you would enjoy it.)

      I did know most of this, but thank you for sharing with people who may not be aware. And I do agree...I don't think he meant it the way NIN did. And yes, his remake is vastly SUPERIOR to the original. Absolutely! :)

      Delete