Friday, June 28, 2013

Mr. Always Random and Mashed Potatoes

So...I hope you'll forgive my absence of of late. I've been a little bit busy. And tired. But mostly busy.

But, if it makes you feel any better, I do have lots of blog post ideas rolling around in my head.

It doesn't mean they will come to fruition, but they're there. Is that enough penance?

Anyway...we went to Devil's Tower. I don't know what day it was...frankly it's all starting to blur.

But we went. I have pictures to prove it.

Actually I guess I can't really prove that I (or anyone in my family, for that matter), was actually there. Because the only pictures I took were of Devil's Tower. That's it. No one was in the pictures, so I could have simply copied them off someone else's website.

So you'll just have to take my word for it, I suppose. As I've said before, I'm truthful if nothing else (see below...I may not be as truthful as I tout...don't judge).

It's an amazing thing, Devil's Tower. If you've never been, I encourage you to go. It's kind of crazy to see.

And it was the first National Monument. Did you know that?

Did you even care?

Well, I'm certain that you did...you pursuers of knowledge you. That's why I love you, my faithful fans.

No, I'm not calling you nerds...unless you want me to. Then I totally was.

Decide amongst yourselves which one it is.

Anyway...Devil's Tower was what we were discussing.

And I don't have much to tell you about the place itself but if you want to learn more, you can go here.

(How's that for passing the buck? That's how I roll...)

I have more important things to discuss.

So, while we were in the Visitor's Center (because that's what we do at this historic/educational opportunity type places...it's one of the things the PBA L.O.V.E. about our vacations...I always make it educational on some level, otherwise where's the fun?) we read about the the first technical climb of Devil's Tower, which was done via a rope and a stake ladder.

As I recall, the stakes were tapped into crevices between the rocks.

The remnants are still in place.

At least they told me they were. They had a location where you could supposedly see them. But I could not. And yes, I was wearing my glasses, thank you very much.

OK, they were my sunglasses, which don't have a prescription, but they were glasses.

But being one who doesn't like to make waves, I shook my head and said, "Oh yeah I see it..."

Hey...don't judge.

Anyway, while we were at that particular spot, another family was also there. Mr. Always Random asked one of the little girls in the family if she also saw the restaurant on the top, to which she gave an emphatic, "I see it! Mommy, do you see it too?"

He's got a way with the children. It's obvious why I fell for him.

The thing I wanted to leave you with was this clip from Close Encounters of the Third Kind:


It's a teaser, isn't it? Now you'll have to rush right out to see this vintage film to discern why I posted the video in this blog.

(And if you already know why I included it, don't spoil the fun for the rest of us/them.)

Have a fabulous day!

Editor's Note: Should I be concerned that Mr. Always Random has been ordering a lot of mashed potatoes lately?...


Yes I really did take this...looks like a postcard, doesn't it? (Modesty is one of my many attributes.)



1 comment:

  1. I have never been there, but our oldest was there with the Boy Scouts last year. He has a very similar photo. (Don't mean for that to be any indication of how good or bad a photographer you are.) :)

    ReplyDelete