Saturday, January 26, 2013

Check Your Filter


I don’t know when it got all gunked up, but I realized that my filter needed to be checked. You know how it is…life gets busy, you are in a routine but checking the filter isn’t on your calendar.

And when things aren’t on the schedule, they sometimes get overlooked.

Or we take them for granted.

Or worst of all, we ignore them completely.

I hate it when I ignore my filter.

Filters are something everyone needs to consider at least sometimes. I don’t necessarily mean really sit and ruminate on them, but at least give them a wayward thought now and again.

Or maybe ruminate on them long and hard…some of you probably should but I may not be the one to point that out to anyone.

I am the first to admit that, perhaps, I should be more mindful of my filter.

Some filters are really good about keeping a lot of the “bad stuff” out…only the best is getting through those suckers.

Some filters are middle-of-the road and maybe work marginally well…they aren’t the best but they aren’t the worst either.

And some filters aren’t so great at filtering, but you can justifiably say, “Hey, at least I had a filter.”  It was ineffectual at best, but you can claim it was there.

If you’re like me, you oscillate between a high-end filter and the cheap-o kind. Something will happen and I always think, “WOW! I really needed more filter in this situation…I’d better go all out and get the best one I can! I don’t want something to get through that shouldn’t!”

And then the next time I need a filter, I think, “Oh, I don’t need such a high-end one…I can just go with the very basic. I’m sure no one will be able to tell. The flimsy one will be fine.”

But where I can really get into trouble is when I am desperately in need of a filter…any kind, really, will do in a pinch…but I lack one entirely.

I won’t say that my filter this afternoon was completely missing, but it might have been in need of a check.  And then again, maybe not. I'm still ruminating on that one.

Regardless, there are no worries, especially for you, my same church attending buddies: I have a bright and shiny new one all ready for tomorrow. No need to avoid me.


“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” Ephesians 4:29

No comments:

Post a Comment