Friday, December 21, 2012

I Love a Regift


Yes, I’ve regifted. And if you’re honest with yourself, I am willing to bet that you have done it as well.

And I think the best kind of regift is the open and honest one. The one in which you admit to the recipient, “This is something I got and I don’t want it/need it/like it…but you look like someone who is not picky/needy/tacky. And this gift made me think of you…so here: please take it.”

And I’m great with receiving a regift…no qualms whatsoever. And not too proud either...working at a preschool in which people donate all sorts of things, I have learned to take whatever is given and then parcel things out to whoever needs it. 

That being said, I am not above regifting a regift. And don't worry if you've received a gift from me...I try to make sure I tell the truth in my regifting. If I haven't, it was unintentional, to be sure.

I don’t think regifting is terrible, unless, of course, you give someone a gift they gave you to begin with and try to pass it off as your own purchase. That’s kind of tacky. Actually, that’s really tacky. In case you were on the fence about it, let me be the one to clear that up for you. It’s T.A.C.K.Y. Consider this your PSA.

However, I recently learned that I am the “chocolate regift recipient,” if you will, for some friends who don’t really care for chocolate…the whole family. I mean, what are the odds? How can the WHOLE FAMILY not like chocolate? I think someone in the group must be lying.

Frankly, I’m not entirely certain how that fact slipped past me on my stringent friend-screening process. I fear I may be losing my knack for such things.

But it is what it is and it’s too late now to turn back. We are friends, in spite of this previously-concealed fact. As I consider it, it still boggles the mind, and had I known it months ago, it might have been a deal-breaker. “Not like chocolate?!? I’m sorry…but we can’t be friends.” Friendships have ended over less, I’m sure.

Anyway, it is proof that God puts people in our lives for a reason…I am certain of it: I need chocolate and they’re the ones to supply it for me.  God is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment