Tuesday, November 13, 2012

As The World Turns

Today, unbeknownst to me, my 9yo was playing with a globe someone had left in the room he uses for school on Tuesday through Thursday.  He came into my office saying something about the globe exploding.

“I’m sorry…what?” I knew enough to not be overly-excited. Or excited at all. Sometimes he makes outrageous claims, like he invented the question mark. (Movie reference anyone?)

“Well, I was playing with the globe and it just came apart.”

“Oh. And did you fix it?”

“No. I didn’t know how.”

“Do you need some help?”

“Uh, yeah.”

Insert long pause here. Longer than needed. Until I finally said, “Do you know of anyone who might be able to help you?”

“Oh. Yeah. Will you help me?”

“Sure. Thanks for asking.”

We meandered down the hall, and I tried to further discern what exactly happened.

“I just spun it and it exploded.”

“By exploded you mean it came apart.”

“Yes!”

I know, I know. “Parents, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.” Ephesians 6:4

Exasperation was truly not my intent. Sometimes it is, but not in this case. I was seriously just trying to assess on the situation.

We walked into the room. The globe had come off the axis. As soon as I started the reassembly, it was obvious that the top axis piece was missing. There was no fixing it without that piece. I made the assumption that he probably wasn’t the one who broke it, because said piece would have been nearby.  But I could be wrong; it has happened before. Once or twice. Possibly more.

With that, I scooped up all the pieces and traipsed down to the church office, hoping that our beyond-fabulous Building and Maintenance Supervisor could do something with it.

I opened the door to the office and said, “Is it too dramatic to say that my world is falling apart?”

Oh yes, I did. No filter. It’s really no wonder where the 9yo gets it.


No comments:

Post a Comment