Monday, October 15, 2012

Where Has the Decade Gone?

The first time we came to Hilton Head Island was in October 2002. My now 11yo was 1 (and some change) at the time. I’m certain all you math whizzes out there could figure that out but for those of you who, like myself, struggle with such things…I took pity on you and did the math for you. Actually, who am I kidding? I didn’t do any math…I was there and simply remembered how old the child was.



This picture was taken on the first day at the beach of that first trip. Notice his little cankles and cute little bucket hat. And he went running into the water on that first day. He laughed and played and had a grand old time in the water. The rest of the trip, however, he wouldn’t go near the ocean. Sometimes we got him to play in the tidepools, but he wouldn’t go near that big, scary body of water.

And this was taken yesterday. Yes, it was staged, but that’s ok….no one needs to know that, except for all of you, my closest friends. Notice how little my husband actually has to lean over to talk to him. And I was slightly disappointed that my son wouldn’t wear the bucket hat. He thinks he’s too cool for that now. Whatever…I suppose he’s right. 

One thing to note, however, that isn't so far-removed from the decade past, is that he told me last evening that he wasn’t sure he would go back in the water any more this week. When he and his brother were doing some body surfing (kind of… the waves weren’t terribly conducive to that today), a fish jumped up out of the water and smacked him in the chest. I can vouch that happened because I saw it. My child came flying out of the water so fast. And like any good mother, I sat on the beach and laughed and laughed. And made him go back in. He was fine the rest of the day, but as of yet isn’t so certain about today.

I know it is over-used but I’m still going to ask: where has the time gone? What happened to my baby? I personally haven’t changed. Well, all modesty aside, I actually look better than when we came on that first trip.  But there may be a few more grey hair and some wrinkles…merely laugh lines. Nothing a little Botox can’t fix. Not that I would do that…

1 comment:

  1. How did I not know that you were going to Hilton Head?!?!?!? My sister, aunt, and cousin live there, and I'm taking the 4 year old there for his one-on-one trip. It is beautiful, isn't it? I love the photos, even if the second one was staged. I am in full favor of forced or reenacted photos. Missed you at the game! We lost, by the way.

    ReplyDelete