Thursday, October 4, 2012

¿Habla inglés?

For the first time since we began homeschooling, the PBA is involved in a co-op. As you may recall from a previous post, my 11yo is enrolled in a composition class. Now, I love to write but I hate composition.That class, I am pleased to report, has GREATLY improved. However, Spanish is my latest nemesis.

The 9yo is taking two classes: weather science and Spanish. He doesn’t get a grade for weather science. But he does for Spanish. Due to a miscommunication, I was under the assumption quizzes were being given in class. I found out on Monday that they were, in fact, being given online. So my 9yo had some catching up to do. Despite my encouragement to re-read the chapters (I say “chapters” …they are about 1-1.5 pages each).  And I even repeatedly offered to read them with him. But he declined, assuring me that he would review it by himself.

I think we can probably all figure out what happened. He's 9. He didn't really study. Things didn’t go so well on the quizzes. 

But I will say that he’s clearly given a potential solution some thought; he might be clued in to a way in which the situation could be improved. "Study?" you ask. Oh no...this is much simpler than that.

After laboring over his last quiz, he came to me, sorrowfully and said, “Man, those Spanish quizzes would be much easier if they were in English.”
Yes, my gifted one, they would.


No comments:

Post a Comment