Well, since I know you were all curious as to whether or not I could eek out a second Foodie Friday while on this “fast”, I shall give you one.
But on Saturday.
And not including a recipe.
BTW it’s only one week left…can you believe it?!? It feels like it’s only been 3 weeks and wow, now it is almost over.
Actually, on some days, it feels as though it has been years since I ate some of the delightful food I see around me, and that it will be an eternity until it’s over.
I'm clearly still a work in progress so don't judge.
Also, I caution you to be careful of judgement about its difficulty and the range of emotions you feel until you give this a whirl...it truly is more difficult than a) it looks and b) it should be.
But I digress…
Since I have no recipe to share, I shall give you my list of ingredients and share with you all the various ways we have found to combine them to give us some variety…because I know you’ve been wondering.
Just as a recap, our foods are:
- Black beans
- Whole wheat bread (which is an added 8th food, which I haven’t eaten every day, but sometimes…don’t judge)
- Coffee (typically I only drink 1 cup in the morning, but a couple times I have indulged in a mid-afternoon cup too; and once I added some sugar b/c iced black coffee is beyond disgusting. Who knew?)
- AND we could use as much salt and pepper as we wanted (this means I have used more salt and pepper in the past three weeks than I believe I have used in all the rest of my life combined), as well as sparingly-use olive oil.
So…how have we managed to survive on this? Well, first of all because it is plenty (in fact, still MORE than plenty) of food.
Originally, I wasn’t sure how handy that would be, but trust me: it is. If I have been hungry during these past weeks, it's because I opted not to eat what was available to me...not because the food was in short-supply.
But since our American mind-set needs variety so this is how we have accomplished it:
- Berries by their own lovely selves, separated according to type, or mixed up together
- Yogurt with berries (notice we used “berries” the generic term so we could mix it up a bit…excepting no “Crunch Berries” which Mr. AR is still trying to sneak in)
- Spinach salad with berries (also provides variety with the different types of berries…I know that sounds crazy, but different berries do make it different!)
- Spinach salad with roast chicken and boiled eggs
- Chicken and black bean soup (utilizing stock I made from the chicken carcass of the whole chicken I made in the crock-pot…still chicken and water…nothing added!)
- Chicken sandwich (with or without spinach)
- Roast chicken
- Chicken and quinoa
- Chicken, quinoa and black beans
- Sauted spinach with quinoa and chicken
- Black bean burgers (recipe here)
- Boiled eggs (with or without toast)
- Scrambled eggs (with or without toast)
- Scrambled eggs with spinach (with or without toast)
- Scrambled eggs with spinach and quinoa (with or without toast)
- Toad in a Hole (which is sunny-side-up eggs in the middle of toast brushed with olive oil)
- Frozen yogurt (also a “cheat” but once I began having a small bowl of it before bed, my restless legs calmed down and I could sleep…my conscious is ok with it. Don’t judge.)
- Sunday Addendum: fruit smoothie (yogurt, fruit, ice...why did this not occur to me before now?!?)
See…it’s not so bad.