Tuesday, July 8, 2014

(Not So) Tiny Bubbles

Did I stick that song in your head?

How about now?

OK now I can begin...

Today was Day 1 of Preschool Camp. And I am one of two teachers who get to lead the camp. The other one says she just there to help me, but she's just so gifted at teaching that she can hardly contain herself.

I am so blessed to work with her!

But I digress...much as I could expound on the many merits of JG, I will get to the real motivation behind this post: blowing bubbles.

Not the chewing gum kind either...I mean bubbles bubbles like you blow with a wand.

And today we were talking about things that fly...either on their own power (ie butterflies or birds) or by someone's help.

And because we were dealing with children ages 3-5, we had to make it their level too.

So one of the things we did today was to make our own bubbles. And it was so fun (and surprising that it actually worked...and worked WELL!) that I felt obligated to share it with all you lovely people.

OK, so I know that many (if not all) of you will never take the time to make up this "recipe".

And I am ok with that.

For the most part.

OK, that's a total lie right there. My parents taught me not to lie so I felt compelled to confess it.

Apparently immediately.

And apologize: "I'm sorry for lying".

So now the truth: I'm not ok with it...you really should make this recipe. It's fun (what a wordsmith I am). And it's not that expensive. And the only thing you would have to buy (possibly, unless you made the liquid handsoap on my blog a few months ago...ok, almost a year ago, then you would already have) is the glycerine. It's about $5-6 at CVS...but you don't use much and can easily get your money's worth....plus you can make that soap.

Plus, it is a good lesson for your kiddos on measuring, mixing, what happens when we mix things (aka SCIENCE).

So...all that to say, it is way cooler (and much funner...not even a real word, but seemed to fit in this context...we are talking about preschoolers, you know) than just picking up a big 'ole bottle of bubbles at the Dollar Tree.

There...I have said my piece illustrating the reasons why you should totally make these with your kids.

NOTE: If you're choosing to let him/her/them stir, use the biggest bowl you have or this solution will be slopped out all over the side.

Bubbles, Bubbles Everywhere

  • 2 cups warm water
  • 1 cup dish washing liquid
  • 3-4 Tablespoons glycerine
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar

Stir until sugar is dissolved.

Use wands (you know...from those cheap-o Dollar Tree bottles of years gone by) or try out other creative things such as the plastic pieces on a 6-pack of SODA (of course I would never advocate the evils of alcohol!). Take a look around the house to see what else you can use!





No comments:

Post a Comment