Tuesday, February 18, 2014

No Florence Nightingale

Of course, it goes without saying that I don’t like it when my child is sick.

Or if my children are both sick…which fortunately it hasn’t often happened in the 10 + years in which I have had multiple children sick at the same time.

I probably just jinxed that; be prepared for a blog describing that in a few days.

Be very surprised if it doesn’t come to pass.

But…regardless of how many people in my house are sick, I am no Florence Nightingale. Or Clara Barton. 

Or any other famous nurse…are there any others because I am drawing a blank on names if so.

And I apologize to them…because I am sure that they are reading this blog.

Nurse Ratchet might be a better description.

Don’t judge.

I am well-aware that there are many of you out there just like me. Which is why nurses (and doctors and other people who make it their profession to serve others physical ailments) are in high demand.

And let’s be honest, if I am not kind and loving toward my family (whom I actually love) when they are sick, it’s probably not getting any better with strangers.

I don’t do blood, or vomit, or diarrhea, or even snotty tissues all over the floor.

I run a tight ship.

Towels and blankets and trash cans all around…lest you have need of any of them.

Decorative pillows are all but removed from the room (and sometimes they are removed from the room).

If you’re sick, you’re probably not paying attention to the décor anyway…am I right? Well, I am but probably none of the y-chromosomes in this house are.

But for some reason, illness typically brings out the best in my children’s manners. Lots of “pleases” and “thank yous”.

Lots of compliments.

Lots of “Thank you for taking care of me.”

Apparently I thinly-veil how I truly feel about running a sanatorium.

But today might have been one of my favorite “sick-kid conversations” ever:

As my 10yo is languishing in a chair, watching TV…also in the midst of a 2-hour nap hangover of sorts (You know what I’m talking about…lying down for a quick snooze and waking up hours later…it has a hangover effect. At least that’s what they tell me it’s like…because I certainly wouldn’t know about things like that!)

Me: (From the kitchen) Do you need anything to eat or drink?

10yo: No, I don’t believe I need anything right now, but thank you so much for asking.

Be still my heart…it takes him being sick to show it, but he CAN have good manners.



1 comment:

  1. Oh my funny stuff!!! I noticed that my kids are also much nicer with a cold or flu or stomach bug. Not that I want them sick but they are kind to me and each other when they are sick. It is kind of nice for the piles of snotty tissues on the floor, the trash cans filled with throw up, and the piles of blankets where they were cold/hot/cold/hot…

    ReplyDelete