Friday, December 6, 2013

Foodie Friday: Old-Fashioned Gingerbread

This Friday’s recipe is not necessarily a “Christmas-y” one although clearly gingerbread is something most often thought of at this time of year.
But…true confessions before I begin. This recipe is not the one I had planned for today. The one I had for today is going to wait until next week…if for no other reason, Aldi did not have a couple of the ingredients I needed for it. And since I don’t post recipes I have never tried, ergo the delay.
The nerve of Aldi.
But all was not lost; Aldi did have large bottles of molasses marked down to $1. I didn’t even know if it was a good price or not, but as soon as I saw the bottle, my mouth began to water and I knew I needed to make some gingerbread.
A specific gingerbread…not just any ole’ one.
And before I lose you altogether, this is not your typical gingerbread.
In fact, I do not care for gingerbread. The dry, over-spiced cookies, with a little bit of icing as an apology for a sorry excuse of a cookie.
Yeah, I don’t care for them…lest you be confused.
So to back-track just a touch…when I was in middle school (just a couple years ago) my parents and I went on vacation to Colorado. And we stayed in a B&B (that’s a Bed and Breakfast, in case you aren’t hip to the lingo). It was the first time I had stayed in one. I thought it was a little strange that the rooms looked like rooms in people’s homes. From the late 1800’s, no less. I liked it, but I did think it a little strange.
And I wasn't so sure about the fact that we had to eat breakfast with strangers.
But that which was MOST disconcerting was when I heard the news that the menu included, yes, you astute readers, “gingerbread”.
Really?
First of all, it is the middle of the summer…are we just preparing in advance for the celebration of our Savior’s birth, or are we still doling out leftovers from last December?
I was so confused, to say the least.
Imagine my surprise (and delight) when what she brought to the table wa,s in fact, cake. It’s not called “Gingerbread Cake” but that’s exactly what it is.
And it is fabulous. Even without having chocolate in it…I make some exceptions to that rule.
On the other hand, please take note that there is not a hint of fruit in it; other rules are hard and fast.
And if you are looking for a nice pairing, I have to say that coffee goes great with a slice of it…thereby making it a breakfast.
We had it at the B&B, didn’t we? Don’t judge.
So, because we are all in dire need of a new recipe, and of course all have the time to make then (this is pretty easy, actually…no need to be afraid), I give you this glorious recipe (this is the actual one from the B&B…I didn’t even have to Google it!):
Old-Fashioned Gingerbread
  • 1 c. butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 2 eggs, well beaten
  • 2 c. flour                                  
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 c. dark molasses
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 c. boiling water

Cream butter and sugar.  Beat in eggs, flour, spices and molasses.  Mix thoroughly.  Dissolve soda in the water and add to batter.  Pour into greased 9x12 or 9x13 pan and bake at 375 for about 30 minutes.  When cool, dust with powdered sugar.
(NOTE: A HUGE “Thank You” to my mom who typed up the recipe and emailed it to me)


2 comments:

  1. Oooohhh! Sounds oh so very yummy! I do love a little gingerbread every now and again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so tasty...you have to try it. True...it's no sugar cream pie, but what is? Which may be why I like this stuff... ;)

      Delete