Friday, August 16, 2013

Foodie Non-Friday: Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark

So, I clearly have been somewhat absent this week. Not so’s you would necessarily notice but I could possibly be accused of “mailing it in”; I submit the following exhibits for your perusal, Your Honor: first a Youtube video on Monday, nothing on Tuesday, a photo (accompanied by a Youtube video) on Wednesday, nothing Thursday.
Which brings us to today. Finally Friday.
To be honest, it’s not so much a matter of me being lazy…it’s been another four-letter word: B.U.S.Y.
Frankly it’s not letting up any time soon.
And it’s fine because I turn out such quality writing otherwise that I am certain you will all be there for me when I do actually find time to write.
OK, that’s not true…I HOPE you will all be there for me when I actually do find time to write…no pridefulness here, I assure you.
Well, maybe a little.
But all this surmising to say: MAYBE it will be better writing because I save up all that good writing for a few specialized posts instead of dumping a whole bunch of nothing on a daily basis.
This is highly unlikely but I float it out there in an effort to get your hopes up.
Have I?
And speaking of high hopes, I have a recipe I have been DYING to share with you. It is one I MAY have made this past week.
Or I MAY have made it twice…in the past week.
For the record I did give a container of it (albeit a small container) to my parents…they deserved more but I wasn’t feeling overly-generous. And I am totally ratting them out here, but I am not entirely certain that the PBA wanted me to give any away. (It's clearly a big hit at our house.)
Some may call it stingy.
So now that you are writhing with anticipation, I give you:

Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark

If you listen closely, you can hear the choir of angels singing.
Have you ever heard of such a glorious thing? I thought the salted chocolate chip cookies were good, but this.is.AMAZING. I shall include the recipe, lest you care to make it for your family. I had all of the ingredients and it is highly likely that you will too (assuming you eat an inordinately large amount of pretzels such as we do…you’ll have those on hand...everything else I would venture to guess you have.) So are you ready for the big reveal? Here we go:
  • 2 sticks of butter (for my friends across the pond, that would be 226.81 grams) 
  • 1 cup of light brown sugar
  • 1 regular-size bag of small-twist pretzels (you'll use about 3/4 of the bag)
  • 12 ounce bag of chocolate chips
  • Sea salt or coarse Kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 400.

Line a large bar pan with parchment paper (I’m pretty sure you’ll want to do this otherwise you’ll have most of the bark stuck to the pan, and whole adventure will be for naught) and cover with pretzels.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
When it begins to bubble, add the brown sugar. Stirring occasionally let the butter/sugar mixture meld together and brown. This should take about 3 minutes. Do NOT let it boil, you will have sticky goo that is no good.
When you have a nice, brown caramel, pour it over the pretzels, slowly and evenly. FYI: It hardens fast so even pouring is the best method (versus trying to spread it).

Bake the sheet for 5 minutes.

Remove the sheet from the oven and sprinkle the whole bag of chocolate chips evenly over the mixture.

Place back in the oven for about 45 seconds. If you put it in longer, the chocolate will burn.

Remove from the oven and use a silicone spatula to evenly spread the chocolate over the top.

Sprinkle with sea salt and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour. The bark should easily pop off the parchment paper; break into pieces and enjoy (and trust me…you will enjoy!)
I apologize for the lack of a personal photo (I swiped it from someone else who had swiped it...and so it goes); frankly it never even occurred to me to take one.
And even if it had, I fear that the melted chocolate and/or the sea salt on my fingers would have been detrimental to my phone/camera (I don’t have a separate camera anymore…that’s why I always make sure my favorite photographer accompanies me to the majority of my children’s sporting events, vacations, and any photo-worthy event in general.)
And if it wasn’t the chocolate or the salt, it might possibly have been the saliva from me licking the aforementioned items from my fingers.
Don’t judge.
And don’t pass this recipe by…it just might blow.you.away.

NOTE: Also makes a good ice cream topping…you know, for when you get down to the dregs of the batch and eating those with a spoon out of the bowl seems more than slightly wrong. Put it on ice cream and I assure you there’s no shame at all.

8 comments:

  1. Oh WOW! I've been waiting for this one. It sounds utterly foodgasmic.

    But, er, how much butter's in a 'stick'? Cos in English England, we use grams (much as I prefer oz).

    Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.

    And I'll be here, when you're less busy, waiting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Per your request, I have adjusted the recipe above...it is 226.81 grams (which really sounds like a lot...2 sticks sounds a lot less artery-clogging; you should really consider switching to that!)

      Delete
    2. GENUINELOL! Ohhhh dear that is a lot of butter! But (probably) SO worth it. Gonna try this soon. Thank you :D

      Delete
    3. Ha - I always wondered what a stick was. Who came up with these ways of measurements - sticks and cups instead of simple grams and ounces (I use ounces too Lizzi - does that make us old fashioned or modern?)

      Delete
  2. Have you ever made this with saltine crackers instead of pretzels? (You don't have to line the pan with parchment paper, fyi). I want to try it your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just lazy...and actually I just discovered the gloriousness of parchment paper so I'm using it all the time. Maybe I'll try it without...and if it's a big mess to clean up I'll send it your way. ;)

      Delete
  3. Mmmkay. So looking at your pic, I kinda did it wrong. Too many pretzels and not enough chocolate.

    What a SHAME! I'll have to try it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you'd better try it again...did you finish eating the first batch yet?

      Delete