Friday, July 26, 2013

Foodie Friday: Quinoa & Eggs

So...because I pretend to be a chef (sometimes), I also feel compelled to share recipes with you (somtimes).

Or just ask you cooking questions.

And BTW, none of you were helpful at all in weighing in on the agave nectar...so thanks.for.nothing.

This time I am not asking for an opinion...so feel free to keep the comments to yourselves.

Unless you have a suggestion which would potentially make the recipe better...then feel free to add it.

So...I downloaded a free quinoa cookbook on my Kindle.

Now, I rarely get anything good from free books. Often times I find the books (fiction ones, that is) to be filled with shallow and surface characters and a plot you can see straight through.

Sure, the shallow part should appeal to me...but not in my fiction. Even in free fiction, I am not a fan.

I do have some standards.

And rarely do I download cookbooks, because though I would like to fancy myself as a cook, I have come to terms with the fact that I am not.

I don't care much for cooking. Sure, I like to eat, as does the rest of my family, and that coupled with the fact that I am cheap, cheap, cheap (thereby refusing to eat at restaurants all the time), I am forced.to.cook.

And I'll be honest: I typically make the same recipes over and over.

And over again.

My family doesn't often complain. Not because they haven't noticed. Or because they are just thankful for a meal.

It's because they know about "the rule". And "the rule" is as follows: if you complain about a meal which someone has taken their own time and energy to prepare and you have contributed absolutely nothing toward the preparation of the meal...you best not make any sort of derogatory or disparaging remark because you (all by your lonesome) will be making the next night's meal.

The ONLY exception is if the chef first initiates an incendiary remark about the outcome of the meal, thereby opening the floodgates for the peanut gallery to weigh in.

But, on a lark, I downloaded this aforementioned freebie quinoa cookbook.  And while riding in the car on vacation, I began browsing through it.

One thing intrigued me: adding quinoa to scrambled eggs.

Sure, it sounds gross.

But the idea behind it was to add fiber and protein...and to "bulk up" the eggs.

And who, pray tell, doesn't want bulked up eggs?

So...even though this seemingly-reliable, free cookbook had suggested it, I did Google it when I got home.

I didn't want it to be a case of a crazy person lacking in taste buds suggesting combinations of weird and seemingly-random ingredients, under the guise recipes in a cookbook.

It was a free cookbook remember...

But imagine my surprise (I won't say delight, though that doesn't make it any less true) to discover that adding quinoa to eggs is a real thing.

And though I was somewhat reticent, I did try it.

Frankly, I had some quinoa I had made earlier in the week and needed to use it up.

And I needed something quick and easy to make for dinner. And really, what is easier than scrambled eggs?

Well, lots of things but I didn't have a frozen pizza, for instance.

I will pause right here with one thing I must say, lest you've never heard me talk about my beloved quinoa: I do not cook mine with broth...I cook it with water.

And this is because I sometimes add peanut butter and flax seed to it for a post-workout snack or a power-lunch; and honestly if the quinoa was cooked with broth would be G.R.O.S.S.

You can disagree with me, but you would be wrong.

So...here's what I used (and no, I did not follow a specific recipe...I kind of made up my own based on what I had read, and also what I had in my fridge.)

* 1 green bell pepper, diced
* 6 eggs, beaten with about 1/2 cup of milk
* 1 cup cooked-in-water quinoa
* 1-1.5 cups raw spinach
* 1 cup shredded colby jack

I sprayed the skillet with a tiny bit of oil, and cooked the peppers until soft but NOT mushy...still retaining their shape and some firmness (I don't know the cooking terms, clearly...)...maybe 5-10 minutes. I don't pay attention to these things.

Then I added the eggs and cooked them like typical scrambled eggs...click here if you need directions on that...I couldn't have described making scrambled eggs any better myself.

Just before the eggs were completely cooked, I added in the quinoa and spinach. I continued to pull, lift and fold the eggs so the quinoa and spinach were evenly mixed in, and the eggs finished cooking.

I turned off the burner and then sprinkled the cheese on top (obviously I took the picture before the cheese melted) and put a lid on top for a minute or two to use the residual heat to melt the cheese.

This recipe provided an ample main dish for all four of us...along with an English muffins, salad, and fresh fruit. (Oh, yeah...I rocked the fruits and veggies on this meal.)


Now...could my family tell there was quinoa in their eggs? Yes.

Did they balk at the quinoa in their eggs? No.

Did they eat every last bite and ask for more? Yes.

Did my 10yo comment, "I like these eggs BETTER with the quinoa!"? Yes he did (he IS my little Eddie Haskell...)

Will I make them again? Absolutely!

Will you? I hope so.

Have a fabulous day!

Follow me on Facebook!

2 comments:

  1. Ah well have another unhelpful comment then:

    (you'll have to imagine the hick accent for yourself)

    "Wuts a quinoa?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds good and if it makes 6 eggs feed a family of 4 than i could get by with only using a dz eggs for our family! And that makes me Happy Happy Happy! seriously that sounds great!

    ReplyDelete