Wednesday, June 19, 2013

10yo Gored by Wild Moose

OK, so that title probably got your attention.

No one got gored by a moose. But we did see a moose. That might be the high point of the entire trip and I've spilled it right here at the git-go.

Well, no matter...I'm going to go back and fill you in on the happenings of the trip thus far.

Not much has happened, really, except a lot of driving. But I shall do my best to embellish as I see fit...or as a bunny trail leads me.

You know I'll go off on a tangent (or two) and really stretch this out. recap...

Monday: we drove 13 hours.

And it was the now-12yo's birthday.

He's CONSTANTLY begging to ride in the front seat. As of this publishing, we have yet to concede.

I told you we were mean.

We "celebrated" at the Iowa 80 Truck Stop in Iowa. We'd joked that we would. We even joked that we'd get him an air-brush t-shirt that said, "I spent my 12th birthday at the Iowa 80 Truck Stop."...because if you've ever been to the I-80 Truck Stop, you know that you can get an air-brush shirt (and so much more) all there. In fact...there's a church, a barber, a dentist...anything someone who lives on the road would need.

Granted, we're not living on the road but after about 26 hours on the road in 2.5 days it kind of feels like it.

But anyway...back to Monday...we did not need to get an air-brush t-shirt because I bought one ahead of time from Vistaprint. Actually...I got one free; I just had to pay for the shipping. And it was totally worth it. He played the role of a surly 12yo to PERFECTION.

So much so that he would only allow me to take a picture so long as I promised NOT to post it on FB or on my blog.

But he did say I could include this picture ONLY of the t-shirt.

And on Monday we left at 4 in the morning. We got to the hotel in Nebraska...sometime. I don't know when. Then we drove around for at least 30 minutes, trying to find a pizza place for dinner...just to end up at the Pizza Hut that was walking distance from the hotel.

But they gave my 12yo his own dessert pizza...since it was his birthday and all.

He ate the whole thing, without offering to share...which was fine with me. It was apple. YUCK-O.

But again...very surly 12yo-like behavior. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Well, that's not really true. I could do without the surliness sometimes.

Other than that...the day's all a blur.

Tuesday: only a 9 hour drive.

And the highlight for the day was the bathrooms at the Pilot gas station outside Laramie, Wyoming. They had an AMAZING hand soap there.

Stop laughing.

It was Cherry Pumice. It smelled like Wild Cherry Bubble Yum (you know that scent from childhood, right?) and had little pumice granules in it so you got a little exfoliation action when you washed your hands.

In fact, there were two ladies who were washing their hands before me who were discussing the hand soap at great length.

It may be why I am going on and on about it. Otherwise I may never have noticed.

Regardless...I tell was divine.

It's true. You can even ask my mom.

Well, she didn't go in the restroom there but she did agree that my hands felt really soft. Yes, I made her feel how soft they were.

I don't remember much about that day other than that.

Yes, like I said... the gas station hand soap might have been the high point for that day.

Wednesday: we only had to drive for 3.5 hours to reach Jackson Hole. Wahoo!

We stopped at the grocery on the way in and added to our already-packed car our groceries for the next few days.

Maybe we should have rethought that.

Don't they look happy, happy, happy?

Well no matter...we made quick work of the store, unpacked the car at the condo, I did a quick load of laundry (perhaps I was in withdrawal...I hadn't done laundry since Sunday evening!) and away we went.

We did a 3.2 mile hike...and were all kind of huffing and puffing like we'd run a marathon.

That altitude difference will get you every time.  At home, we live at about 650 feet above sea level.

Today we were hiking (at the starting point) at about 6,200 above sea level. And we only went up about another 410 feet.

During the hike today, we saw a garter snake...he posed very nicely on a fallen tree trunk for us. I'm glad it wasn't anything more menacing than that...because we were in no condition to run if we need to.

And we saw a moose. It kind of came out of nowhere. The 12yo saw it first. And as each one of, in turn, saw it...we each had the same thought, "That's a horse."

Perhaps we live in a bit of a sheltered environment.

Or perhaps we didn't expect to see a moose so soon on the trip.

Or perhaps it did look a little bit horse-like. Makes me think of the following old joke:

       Horse walks into the bar. Bartender asks, "Why the long face?"

Yes, it's dumb but I laugh every time. Maybe not out loud...or maybe out loud.

Don't judge.

So...I'm tired and that's about it in a nutshell.

But one last thing, because I am certain you are all DYING to know. Indy's living the high-life at my friend Jackie's house. I inquired about Indy on Monday and for a response, I got a post on my wall which read as follows:

Yesterday morning during breakfast, he weaseled his way into the pantry and I caught him busily licking the residue from a vegetable oil bottle that was on the floor. Last night I left him for 10 minutes while I was in the garage...he got into the trash and shredded the tissues. Indy is adept at recognizing and jumping on ANY opportunity to entertain himself. It's actually quite fun(ny) although he did let me know he wasn't quite done in that pantry. He's a hoot!

Oh...I have a feeling that I'm going to owe her BIG.TIME. when we get back...this was all within the first 48 hours.

I haven't heard anything else, so I'm going to assume that no news is good news...right?

And with that...I have no more news (and frankly I don't think anything I just reported to you was actually news, was it?)

Have a fabulous evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment