So I usually participate in Stasha’s Monday Listicles. And today I am halfway participating. I am kind of (ok, not really) hitting the topic, and I am not linking up, if for no other reason, I am just so way off the track today, even for me.
Today’s topic was "Ten Things You Are Proud Of". I could think of three: Mr. Always Random, my 11yo and my 9yo. I could lump them all together under the umbrella heading of “my family” which would include everyone in my family (hence the clever title) and that would have been accurate as well. And I would have one thing on my list.
I realize that being proud of something isn’t necessarily bad, though I have to confess that I was somewhat convicted about it. I felt like God was reminding me of what His word has to say about being proud. It is typically paired with such words as arrogance, haughty, conceited…none of which are really positive attributes...at least where I come from.
And not to get all high-and mighty (and, dare I say, PROUD) about my attempts at humility, all I had to do was go to God’s word and seek out the truth there.
So here it is if you want to read it. And frankly, it’s still there even if you don’t.
So here are just a FEW of the verses I found addressing the issue of pride...and on a sidenote, BibleGateway.com is one of the best resources online, I have to admit.
Read at your own risk…and don’t say I didn’t warn you:
- Do not keep talking so proudly or let your mouth speak such arrogance, for the Lord is a God who knows, and by him deeds are weighed. 1 Samuel 2:3
- But Hezekiah’s heart was proud and he did not respond to the kindness shown him; therefore the Lord’s wrath was on him and on Judah and Jerusalem. 2 Chronicles 32:35
- Unleash the fury of your wrath, look at all who are proud and bring them low, look at all who are proud and humble them, crush the wicked where they stand. Job 40:11-12
- Rise up, Judge of the earth; pay back to the proud what they deserve. Psalm 94:2
- Whoever slanders their neighbor in secret, I will put to silence; whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart, I will not tolerate. Psalm 101:5
- The Lord detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished. Proverbs 16:5
- Better to be lowly in spirit along with the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud. Proverbs 16:19
- Haughty eyes and a proud heart— the unplowed field of the wicked—produce sin. Proverbs 21:4
- When I fed them, they were satisfied; when they were satisfied, they became proud; then they forgot me. Hosea 13:6
- He has performed mighty deeds with his arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts. Luke 1:51
- Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. Romans 12:16
- Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. I Corinthians 13:4
- But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people. 2 Timothy 3:1-5
- In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.” 1 Peter 5:5
- The beast was given a mouth to utter proud words and blasphemies and to exercise its authority for forty-two months. Revelation 13:5
Wow…how’s that for a whole bunch of coals being heaped on your head? I know that I, for one, have a whole bunch of work to do with my pride issues.
Well, this was random for me, and not funny in the slightest bit. And just so I don’t leave you feeling slighted, I will flip it over to shallow just to wrap it up:
I’m obviously proud of my dumb dog, Indy.