Sunday, September 9, 2012

Square Donuts

So as you may recall from Soccer Mom, I love to watch my boys play soccer. Any sport, really when it comes down to is, but soccer is my number one choice (however, DO NOT tell the 9yo, since he chose football this fall instead of soccer. It was his choice and I support his decision, but even after 7 games, mama’s still not really a fan of the football. For those of you who would be so kind, PLEASE be praying that he will see the light and come back to soccer!) But I digress.

Today was a beautiful day. Lots of bright sunshine, just a bit of a breeze. A perfect day for soccer. We headed off to Bloomington, right after church. We ate a picnic lunch in the car. In fact, we were so streamlined and efficient in our planning, we ended up in Bloomington almost 45 minutes before we needed to be. I credit this to the fact that the majority if our church friends were at Family Camp this week-end so there was no one around for us to hang out and chit-chat with. So anyway, we took the College/Walnut exit off 37 and came through town.
Ever since the 11yo heard that he had a game in Bloomington, he began asking to visit Square Donuts. “What, pray tell, is Square Donuts?” you may be asking yourself.

Box on my lap, all the way home.

Well, it is a little hole-in-the-wall kind of shop which makes some really fabulous donuts. My husband and the 11yo happened to stumble upon it during their last visit to town, back in May. In fact, it was on Mother’s Day. They came to Bloomington, and I went with the 9yo to Noblesville for Day 2 of a soccer tournament. So to make up for the fact that I missed out on Bloomington (one of my all-time favorite places in the world), when they noticed the sign for Square Donuts, they whipped the car into the lot. They bought some donuts for themselves, and some for the “rest” of us. And it was a lovely little surprise; I really enjoyed them as I inhaled them. But since to me it was just about the donuts and not the “experience” of Bloomington, I ate them and then promptly forgot about them.
Yes, it is true that I like sugar a lot, but there are things which I find more appealing than donuts. Don’t get me wrong, I will usually eat a donut if it is in front of me, but it’s not my first choice for a sugar fix. Insert your shocked face here.

So back to the 11yo asking about Square Donuts. We never promised him that we would make a stop there, because we didn’t know how late they were open and when we’d make our arrival in town. But seeing as how we were 45 minutes early (and by that I mean 45 minutes earlier than the 45 minutes early the coach wanted them there before a game; for those of you doing the math, we were there an hour and a half before the kick-off), we decided we probably had time to swing the donut shop and take a look.
For those of you familiar with the area, the shop is located in what was formerly Taco Bell on Walnut Street. I believe it was also a Chinese restaurant at one time. But NOW it has been transformed. Actually, not really. It still looks like a Taco Bell, just one painted over in white. But the menu is definitely different.

When we walked in, my husband asked the girl behind the counter if it was “discount time.” I thought that was a little odd, but he seemed to know what he was talking about. She looked at the clock and said, “Well, if you wait 15 minutes it will be.”
He looked at the clock and then at me. “Well, what’s the discount?” I asked.

“The donuts are 75 cents each now. In fifteen minutes, they will be 25 cents each.”
Without saying a word, I walked over to a table and sat down.

Apparently it was not unusual for this to happen, because the clerk seemed completely unphased. And a few minutes later, a man came in by himself. She looked up and asked, “Are you waiting too?” He just gave a nod. I’m guessing he was a regular.
So as we waited, I noticed a sign to “like” them on Facebook, in order to get coupons and deals. Not that I go to Bloomington often, but I might consider a field trip for discounted donuts, or at the very least incorporate it into a field trip. I also saw another sign which encouraged clientele to text to a certain number to receive coupons via text. And in doing so, you could get a free donut. So of course I did that too.

Finally the time we’d been waiting for had arrived. The clerk came out of the back room and said, “Ok, it’s time.” My boys rushed the counter. We ended up getting 17 donuts (a dozen for our household and 5 for my parents…one was the free one). All for a whopping total of $4.
Then came the point when we explained to the boys that we were not eating the donuts until after the soccer game. Remember the soccer game? The whole reason we came down here? Somewhat dejected, they gave up arguing pretty quickly. They had met us and knew if they whined too much, none of those donuts would find their way into the boys’ hands.

So we proceeded to the game. As it turned out, it was not the best game they’d ever played. The Cutters (yes, it is a nod to “Breaking Away,” one of the finest cinematic productions ever made) had our team’s number today and we kind of got stomped.
But no matter. The road-trip was still salvaged. We had discounted donuts awaiting us in the car.


1 comment:

  1. I cannot believe you had 17 square donuts in the car and didn't even offer me one! Or even tell me about the place! You are in serious trouble, Missy.

    ReplyDelete